[GRASS-user] QGIS and GRASS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 4 18:44:42 EST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Brandon M. Gabler wrote:

> This is probably a question for the Kyng, but I'll post it to all.
>
> I have not yet used QGIS. I have been using GRASS 6.1cvs for a
> while, but am considering either 6.2 or running the 6.3 development
> binaries as they are released. I am running it on an Intel Mac OSX.
> What total installation should I use to install and properly run
> GRASS with QGIS? I tried using the Mac Help text file in the QGIS
> package (version 0.7.4) to change the library usages, etc. I have
> installed all of W. Kyngesburye's libraries, and his version of
> GRASS 6.3, but could not get a happy result following those
> instructions.
>
> Should I start over with a fresh GRASS install after a full
> uninstall? Or is there an easier way?

I wasn't able to redirect Qgis 0.7.4 to use my libs (now
frameworks).  I think 0.7.4 uses an old GDAL (maybe 1.2.6?).  And, of
course, you'd be out of luck on an Intel Mac - while Qgis might run
in Rosetta emulation, pointing it to universal libs (GDAL, if
versions agreed, and GRASS) would not work.

How about using Qgis 0.8 preview 2?  Both my build and the qgis.org
build are universal, and should integrate with a newer GRASS.  For a
preview it's reasonably stable.

If you have any problems, let me know.  I want to make sure it all
works smoothly together.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin