[GRASSLIST:10177] Re: new user... (importing and displaying .hgt files) and list communication

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Feb 7 01:03:09 EST 2006

hgt is the same (maybe exclusive?) format used by SRTM DEMs.  It's
really just a raw binary file.  You could look at the r.in.srtm
command (it's a shell script) to see what it does.  The key is that
you need to know the lower-left coordinates and cell size and other
details, since it's not encoded in the hgt file (with SRTM it's in
the filename, and implied in the SRTM specs), so you can create a
header file.  Then r.in.gdal imports it as a BIL file.

On Feb 6, 2006, at 10:29 PM, Graham Watt-Gremm wrote:

> Hi there,
> Did you try to set the region to the file after importing it?
> (r.in.gdal input=... output=map; g.region rast=map).  That could be
> the problem...
>
> By the way, giving the list an informative subject line (i.e.
> importing and displaying .hgt files) and printing the commands you
> used could help get quicker response, help us assess your problem
> and will help future users as they browse/search the list archives.
> If you suspect a problem/bug with your distribution, reporting the
> date of the cvs, your machine architecture and operating system,
> and any error messages you receive is all quite helpful too.
>
> For the rest of the list, what do you think of adopting a posting
> guide to help us all communicate efficiently - Perhaps like R's
> "Posting Guide: How to ask good questions that prompt useful
> answers" (http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html) which is
> linked from the bottom of every list message?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham Watt-Gremm
> Rocky Mountain Repeat Photography Project
> School of Environmental Studies
> University of Victoria
> sunyata at uvic.ca
>

> On 6-Feb-06, at 3:59 PM, José Miguel Delgado wrote:
>
>> Good evening,
>> I am not sure if this is the correct place to this question, if
>> not please redirect me to somewhere else.
>>
>> I have downloaded grass 6.1 cvs recently and am now trying to
>> import a .hgt file. I need to work with it for a hydrological model.
>> After some attempts I could not visualize with NVIZ or even in the
>> initial monitor. The file appears as a big green square.
>>
>> I chose wgs84 datum and wgs84 ellipsoid.
>>
>> Am I doing anything wrong?
>>
>> Than you for the help,
>>
>> zé miguel
>> --
>> José Miguel Delgado
>> jmmd at mega.ist.utl.pt
>> +351 96 640 72 09
>> +46 73 573 23 89

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin