[GRASSLIST:10184] What exactly does build.polyline do?

Steven Gordon sg at cartagram.com
Tue Feb 7 08:15:04 EST 2006

Hi, List--

I'm hoping someone can take a few minutes and explain what
build.polyline actually does? What is this command supposed to do and
how does it accomplish it?

I've read the Help documentation about the command but it does not go
into enough detail to help me understand what results I can expect
from it.

When I use build.polyline, the resulting file carries none of the
attribute information (including street name) from the original map
layer. I would expect that it joins line segments and preserves all
non-unique attributes. I would expect that a new .dbf file would be
created if I use build.polyline on shapefile data I've imported into
Grass.

The menu interface for build.polyline does not provide any options,
such as controlling what attributes are used to join the line
segments. Is there another way of setting up the command to make it
join segments based on selected attributes?

   Steven Gordon