[GRASSLIST:10186] GRASS GIS large shapefile import problem

Filip UA (sent by Nabble.com) lists at nabble.com
Tue Feb 7 12:03:16 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have question and would be very thankful if any of you could help me out.

I have a large shape file (.shp, it's about 210 MB, covers the whole Brazilian Amazon basin) with an associated database file (.dbf, about 5 MB, consisting of just a few columns but more than 70 000 rows). My goal is to rasterize this map (in order to do some landscape-structure calculations).

I have imported the shape file into GRASS using v.in.shape. This seemed to work well, until v.support made it clear that no category labels file (the internal attribute table) had been imported. Thus, it seems that the main problem is linking the .dbf file to the .shp file when importing it into GRASS (every polygon has to carry a lable in order for it to be converted to raster format).

I looked at other programs to convert my shape file to a raster file --Idrisi, ArcView, WinChips, ENVI-- but none of these was able to do the job.

Many thanks beforehand,
Filip