[GRASSLIST:10220] Difficulty with v.in.db

David Kindem dkindem at chartermi.net
Thu Feb 9 05:56:19 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to create a vector layer from information in a PostgreSQL
data base.  Grass and the database seem to be communicating
correctly.  However, when I execute the v.in.db program, I get the
error message below.  I've just recently started working with
Postgres, so this is unfamiliar ground for me.  I would appreciate it
if someone could tell me whether the problem is on the Grass end, or
if I have the information in the database incorrectly.

I'm using Lorenzo's binaries (10Jan06) on Mac OS X tiger.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

v.in.db driver=pg database=grghm table=waypoints x=longitude
y=latitude key=OID output=waypoints

GRASS_INFO_MESSAGE(329,1): 430 points written to vector

GRASS_INFO_WARNING(333,1): column 'name' : type character varying is
stored as varchar(250) some data may be lost

column 'comment' : type character varying is stored as varchar(250)
some data may be lost

column 'icon' : type character varying is stored as varchar(250) some
data may be lost

column 'display_optic' : type character varying is stored as varchar
(250) some data may be lost

column 'line' : type character varying is stored as varchar(250) some
data may be lost

column 'type' : type character varying is stored as varchar(250) some
data may be lost

column 'railway_name' : type character varying is stored as varchar
(250) some data may be lost

column 'location' : type character varying is stored as varchar(250)
some data may be lost
DBMI-Postgres driver error:
Cannot create table:
create table waypoints ( id varchar(-5), name varchar(250), comment
varchar(250), date date, latitude double precision, longitude double
precision, icon varchar(250), display_optic varchar(250), altitude
integer, line varchar(250), type varchar(250), railway_name varchar
(250), location varchar(250), description text, source text, notes
text )
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 37

Cannot create new table