[GRASSLIST:10334] Making starspan grass-ready (need a GRASS programmer!)

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 15 19:11:07 EST 2006

Hi all, we have a program we announced a year or so ago called "starspan"
(starspan.casil.ucdavis.edu) -- the purpose of this program is to query
raster data based on vector input(s) and produce a number of outputs
(including a .csv file with the vector database + raster data fused
together).  This algorithm is FAR faster than equivalent algorithms (e.g.
ESRI's zonal stats) and was designed specifically with large datasets (and
multiple raster and vector datasets) in mind and for import into stats
packages.

We're hoping to get some feedback or even an offer of help to roll this into
a future grass release -- if anyone is interested please contact me (take a
look at the website so you can see what we are trying to accomplish).
Ideally, we'd like someone familiar with grass's image analysis algorithms
(e.g. classification), since one of the major applications of this program
is to speed up the process of initial classification -- the idea is you
extract the spectral data associated with "field" data (known classes,
perhaps collected with a GPS), perform the classifications/accuracy
assessments only on this subset (which will be far smaller than the entire
image), and once the correct classification is decided on, only then is it
applied to the entire image(s).  We did this with ENVI quite a bit, and it
REALLY sped up how we analyzed data.

Much of the algorithm is finished, we mostly need help getting the program
grass-ready, and cleaning up some of the interface.

Please let me know!  I use AIM and MSN (accounts below) if you would prefer
instant messaging, otherwise please email me!

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
NRC Research Associate