[GRASSLIST:10352] How to clip/cut a large image into a set of smaler images

Lars Forseth l-forset at online.no
Thu Feb 16 17:47:19 EST 2006

hi!

I'm trying to find out how to clip a large geotiff landsat image into several
smaller images; but I'm not finding any commands that seems to fit the bill!
Possibly because I don't know quite where or what to look for!

Theres two things I would like to do:

1. Clip the image into several smaller "tiles"; either by defining rectangle
size or by creating a vector grid that is used to "cut" the larger image into
smaller ones.

2. Clip the image according to a municipality; i.e I have the area of the
municipality as both a raster (binary); and a vector. The resulting image
should be a geotiff or raster datasett that follows the borders of the
municipality.

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I have looked at the GRASS GIS book
(Mitasova/Neteler), GDAL docs and various searches by Google (all return too
much information).

Regards

Lars F

Archaeologist