[GRASSLIST:10375] gis manager 2 rc3 - bug fixes and updates

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Feb 17 14:58:44 EST 2006

I just committed the cvs and my website
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr> a series of bug
fixes and updates for the GRASS GIS Manager.

IMPORTANT NOTE: After posting to the developer list and soliciting comments,
discussing with Markus, and with Bernhard, I moved all the gui files to a
new directory in the source tree. d.m and gis.m are no longer in the
/display directory. They are moved to a new /gui/tcltk directory. Other GUIs
can use this directory. For example, if a Qt GUI is developed, it can go
into /gui/qt. GUIs don¹t really belong with d.* modules. The new directory
will make it easier to manage the GRASS GUI.

Currently, dm and gm remain in $GISBASE/etc in the binary distribution.

The bug fixes include:

canvas screen resizing did not match window resizing
shrinking command console window made buttons disappear
(Thanks to Glynn Clements for helping clear up these mysteries)

auto name issue for RGB/HIS panel

zooming not preserving resolution exactly (Thanks for Maciek Sleczka for
suggesting how to fix this)

Updates include:

modifying zooming again. Zooming now stays on until you press the right
mouse button. This matches the other display controls. However, I agree with
Glynn that this does not follow interface guidelines exactly (the right
button for Windows and Mac, at least, is reserved for contextual menus). But
I don¹t have a better solution for how to stop the the action of these tools
for the moment. Double clicking is often used by graphic programs, but I
worry that a misplaced double click will change a zoom or pan. I could use a
key-click combination, but don¹t know which, if any, are considered standard
for stopping tool actions (Anyone have some real information on this?). A
potentially good idea is to make the buttons work like radio buttons and add
a pointer button. GIMP works this way. However, if possible, this would take
some creative programming and time to do it. I¹ll keep it in mind. If anyone
wants to tackle it....

If you don¹t want to draw a rectangle to zoom, simply clicking the mouse
when in zoom/unzoom mode will zoom/unzoom by 20%. I did note that doing this
excessively and rapidly (i.e., not waiting for the screen to redraw) can
cause the active map display to lock up.

You¹ll notice a new ŒNVIZ¹ button on the map display tool bar. Clicking this
will open NVIZ and display any raster and vector files in the associated
layer tree. The 2.5D maps don¹t display in the map display window yet, but
at least you can display the same maps in NVIZ that you are displaying in
the map display.

For rasters, the Œbase map¹ will be used as elevation map and Œdrape map¹
will be used as color. If there is no Œdrape map¹ defined, the base map will
be used as color. Multiple rasters will produce multiple surfaces in NVIZ.

For vectors, if the vector contains any points, it will be displayed in NVIZ
as a points. Otherwise it will be displayed as vector lines/boundaries.

Enjoy,
Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402