[GRASSLIST:10429] Re: robinson (winkel) projection

Otto Dassau dassau at gdf-hannover.de
Mon Feb 20 06:52:13 EST 2006

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help. I was finally able to create a (hopefully correct)
robinson projection in GRASS and to convert the originally lat/lon, wgs84 map
projection into robinson with wgs84 ellipsoid.

-PROJ_INFO-------------------------------------------------
name       : Robinson
datum      : wgs84
towgs84    : 0.000,0.000,0.000
proj       : robin
ellps      : wgs84
a          : 6378137.0000000000
es         : 0.0066943800
f          : 298.2572235630
lat_0      : 0.0000000000
lon_0      : 0.0000000000
-PROJ_UNITS------------------------------------------------
unit       : meter
units      : meters
meters     : 1.0

Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 21:32 schrieb William Kyngesburye:
> GRASS bug #2558
>
> I just noticed that my latest comments to help close that bug didn't
> make it into the tracker.  I'll have to dig those up and resubmit them.
>
> I've been working with the GLOBE DEM, which should be in WGS84, and
> is in a WGS84 latlong location.  I first noticed the problem when
> upgrading PROJ from 4.4.7 to 4.4.8.  I think something was fixed in
> proj, and so broke a glitch I was depending on (unknowingly) in the
> GRASS-PROJ interaction.

I used a fresh PROJ.4 cvs snapshot and it worked fine.

> If the latlong DEM was really sphere-based but in a WGS84 location,
> other projections should also be having problems.  I haven't seen any
> other projections with this shifting issue.
>
> On Feb 15, 2006, at 2:05 PM, Ian MacMillan wrote:
> > William, I have not seen this with my Robinson locations.  Are you
> > sure about this?  Could it be that your original dataset was using
> > a sphere but you imported it into a wgs84 location.  I had this
> > trouble originally with Smith and Sandwell data.  Seems like a
> > major bug if your observation is true.  Has anyone else ever seen
> > this with Robinson projections?
> >
> > -Ian
> >
> > On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:00 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> >> One important thing I found - use a sphere, not an ellipsoid.  If
> >> you use an ellipsoid, there will be an approx. 20000m N-S shift at
> >> around 45 deg N and S (for the Robinson, at least), which is quite
> >> noticable at any scale.  I agonized over this for a while, using
> >> WGS84 ellipsoid out of habit, and even thought it was a bug, until
> >> I figured out the cause.  -> use a sphere for global projections.

I tried both (sphere and wgs84) and compaired with vector maps reprojected
from other projections (utm and latlon) to find out about possible shifting
problems but it seems to be ok so far ... but I will have to do further
tests.

  thanks a lot
    Otto

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Office Hannover     -      Mengendamm 16d    -     D - 30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de,               Email: info at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49.(0)511.39088507,              Fax: ++49.(0)511.39088508