[GRASSLIST:10444] Re: Hatching in ps.map

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 20 13:47:22 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:29:59PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello Radim,
> I searched the archive for some information on creating hatched vector areas
> in ps.map and found this post [1]. There's a link inside of this mail which
> points to a png-file, but the link is broken. I would be grateful, if you
> could place a png-hatch symbol on the GRASS wiki. I am just curious about
> the potential of ps.map regarding layout.
>
> Best regards,
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/1695/match=hatch

I'm reasonably sure that the article in question doesn't point to how
to do a png hatch symbol in ps.map, but rather points to a png screen shot
of the thing being done using an EPS pattern.   Radim's web site has a
bunch of PNG snapshots, and that article pointed at an old web site of Radim's.

ps.map lets you use a pattern file for fill that is very much like
encapsulated postiscript (but does not support all features of postscript).
There is an example of how to do it in the ps.map documentation under vareas.
What you want to do is make an EPS file with the hatch pattern.  Unfortunately
there's no easy way to generate these things other than in your favorite text
editor.  Getting the hatch pattern to look good might take a lot of iterating,
but it can be done.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 oooh, the sky is the limit."  --- The Tick