[GRASSLIST:10490] Re: Question about v.vol.rst in GRASS 6.1

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Feb 21 12:20:47 EST 2006

Thomas Adams wrote:

> Markus,
>
> Thank you very much! Obviously my first time working with 3D in GRASS.
> A procedural question: typically when would the B & T boundaries be
> set? My guess is that it depends on the dataset one is working with,
> so it needs to be reset depending on the vertical range of the
> (elevation) data?

Tom,

glad to know that it works (last time I was asked that I debugged 2
hours to figure out :-)
Please suggest a text piece to add to the description for future users
having this problem.

Concerning your question: AFAIK, in most cases you can make a single
layer of, say,
0m ..4000m height (see r.range -r elevationmap). Then interpolation is
even faster.

If you want to generate layers at different elevations (e.g., when
interpolating atmospheric
issues), then you have to define several layers in the volume.

In fact, it depends on problem & data.

cheers
 Markus