[GRASSLIST:10557] Re: TOPIDX flow direction algorithm

twiens twiens at interbaun.com
Fri Feb 24 13:35:58 EST 2006

I just found the answer and was about to post the answer
when I found your reply.

My initial reading of the comments in the AML header was
wrong. The null values for flat areas is not related to the
D8 algorithm. This is a function of the topidx formula. The
D8 algorithm issue is that its calculation of slope is not
very accurate and thus when calculating the contributing
area for topidx the calculation is not as accurate as is
possible.

To address this problem there is an interesting algorithm
from (complete with GPL software) by Dr. David Tarboton
(http://www.engineering.usu.edu/cee/faculty/dtarb/).

The D8 algorithm slope angle calulation can only have 8
possible values. Dr. Tarboton has a different algorithm he
calls DInf which calculates slope direction using a
continuous value (in radians). The result is anything based
on this more accurate slope angle is of course more
accurate.

As per the null values in flat areas, Dr. Tarboton has a
suggested different algorithm that is comparable (documented
in his ArcInfo plugin which is also GPL) which doesn't give
null values for flat areas.

I apologize for not fully researching my question before
posting to the list. Thanks for your reply.