[GRASSLIST:9787] Re: NVIZ fails to build on an up-to-date Ubuntu Hoary (was: errors building today's NVIZ)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 10 22:52:48 EST 2006

> > > This worked for me:
> > >
> > > add
> > > "-lXxf86vm"
> > >
> > > to the /nviz/src/Makefile
> >
> > Dylan,
> >
> > Sorry for my ignorance, but where do I exactly put it in this file?
>
> Should have been a bit more clear:
>
> I added it to the Makefile located at:
>
> altering the following line:
> OGL_LIBS = $(OPENGLULIB) $(OPENGLLIB) $(OPENGL32) $(XLIB) -lXmu -lXext
> $(MATHLIB) $(DLLIB) $(XDRLIB) $(XEXTRALIBS) $(XLIBPATH) -lXxf86vm
>
> See where I added '-lXxf86vm' at the end ?

That setting is quite badly wrong. It should probably be:

OGL_LIBS = $(XLIBPATH) $(OPENGLULIB) $(OPENGLLIB) $(OPENGL32) -lXmu
-lXxf86vm -lXext $(XLIB) $(XEXTRALIBS) $(DLLIB) $(XDRLIB) $(MATHLIB)

(all on one line).

If you're using static libraries, the order in which libraries appear
in the link command is signficant. Dependencies must come after the
libraries which depend upon them; e.g. Xlib must come after all other
X libraries, libXext must come after libXxf86vm, etc.