[GRASSLIST:9803] workaround for missing alter table drop column command

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Jan 12 05:02:31 EST 2006

Hi list,
in earlier messages [1], it became clear that dbf (and sqlite) do not
support the alter table drop column command. MS wrote in this context
"...  i
> guess i'd have to (from reading the archives) create a temp table and
> copy over only the colums I want and then re-attach it?  that might be
> a handy function."

But how can I do that (How can I copy over only the *columns* I want)? After
doing this: is it correct to use alter table rename to assign that temp
table the name of the source table (using sqlite; after renaming that one to
source_table_old for example)?

Using dbf-driver, would it be possible to use another programme (like
openoffice) to remove columns or would this produce corrupt data? I remeber
that this was a problem for ArcView but I thought it was possible for
GRASS..

Thanks,

Wolfgang

[1] http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2006-January/031909.html