[GRASSLIST:9822] Re: v.extract area with holes but without islands

ivan marchesini marchesini at unipg.it
Sat Jan 14 06:30:43 EST 2006

Dear Roger..
it could be I'm wrong but I think that island are automatically present
when you have a hole inside an area poligon...
grass dedects the island when it build topology.. it means that there is
an hole inside the poligon but you can simply verify that there is not a
centroid inside the island.... and this is correct because the island is
not an area (it has not attributes....)
instead the poligon has a centroid...

if you try to do the spatial sampling you will see that only points
falling in the area will be sampled, instead those falling in the island
(the hole) will be discared...

I hope this help...

ivan

--