[GRASSLIST:9833] Re: [pramsey refractions.net: [MSF-Discuss] "Geospatial Foundation" Meeting]

Florian Kindl florian.kindl at uibk.ac.at
Sat Jan 14 16:58:07 EST 2006

I support the idea to build a common foundation for the development
and promotion of open source GIS.
This will certainly add more weight to the public appearance of our
projects. Hopefully it also fertilizes the ground for further
interoperability between the various projects.
I am also glad to hear that you, Markus, find the time to represent
GRASS GIS at the meeting.

I wasn't quite up-to-date with the entanglement of Autodesk and open
source - here's how they summarize it themselves:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=6153839

And from the linked pdf http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/
MapServer_Enterprise_Autodesk_Customer_FAQ0.pdf:
[quote]
1.7  What’s in this for Autodesk?  What’s the business model?
Our customers demand more frequent software releases, faster support
for new standards,
faster access to new data sources, and lower cost of ownership for
their web mapping
solutions.
By better addressing needs of these customers and the broader
geospatial community, and
helping the overall mapping industry grow, Autodesk hopes to increase
demand for our other
products used to create and manage spatial information.
Autodesk also plans to offer a commercial version of the MapServer
Enterprise open source
product with additional data connectivity options, along with a
commercial version of
Autodesk® MapServer Studio.  Many customers who are attracted to the
advantages of the
open MapServer Enterprise software but prefer a commercial support
model and related
services, will choose the commercial version.

1.8  How does Autodesk’s participation benefit the open source web
mapping community?
=============
Autodesk’s participation strengthens the presence, credibility, and
long term viability of the
existing open source web mapping community by adding technical
expertise, sponsorship and
business resources to the existing effort. Organizations that may
have been reluctant to
implement solutions based on open source technology may now be more
likely to use them.

Autodesk will cooperate with other Foundation participants to ensure
the future growth and
success of the open source web mapping community in response to the
upcoming
opportunities in the web mapping arena.  Autodesk’s participation may
also attract additional
partners and contributors to the effort.
[/quote]

Just to add a little background information for those who didn't
follow the process closely and wondered why Autodesk's being so
generous...
-flo.