[GRASSLIST:9945] Re: compiling grass for cygwin

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 20:39:13 EST 2006

> OK, that seems to be one way to do it. But I don't really understand
> why it must be that complicated to get all these things running :-((

Because of restrictive software licenses on third party software and the
problems inherent in reverse engineering a closed, proprietary, and
changing format. It's a pain for everyone who uses free software.
It is both unlegal and in violation of our own license (the GPL) for us
to distribute OpenDWG's (or any unFree) import libary.

see  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

As very effective side effect, this encourages work on & deployment of
Free replacements.

> Am I the only one who is interested in dxf import?

No, but it will stay as it is until someone comes along with both the
need and the talent (or the cash to pay someone with the talent) and
actually does the work to make it happen. Perferably added to the OGR
(GDAL) software. Problems inherent in a largely volunteer workforce.

regards,
Hamish