[GRASSLIST:10015] Re: How can I create an index on the cat-co lumn?

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Jan 26 07:36:33 EST 2006

 On 1/26/06, Wolfgang Qual <Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hi grass-users,
>> Recently, I read the following (g.manual v.to.db):
>> "If the module is apparently slow and the map attributes are stored in
an
>> external DBMS such as PostgreSQL, it is highly recommended to create
an
>> index on the key (category) column."
>> How is this done?

>Index is created automaticaly by most of GRASS modules.
>You only need to create index manualy for tables connected by
>v.db.connect.

>Radim

Is it possible to build an index on cat values if you are only using the dbf
driver?
I have a large dbf connected to a vector through v.db.connect and I've
noticed during v.digit
sessions that updating/querying attributes through the 'form' interface
takes a few seconds
to refesh per record.

~ Eric.