[GRASSLIST:10065] OGUG Tutorials: GRASS and GPS using v.in.gpsbabel

Dave Sampson dr.sampson at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 30 23:10:07 EST 2006

Hey folks,

The Ottawa GRASS Users Group would like to thank the developers of
v.in.gpsbabel for their "nick of time" save on our tutorial. After
recompiling with the new script everything worked great.

Check out our second tutorial (Our first one created from scratch) at
http://cemml.carleton.ca:8080/OGUG/ogug-community/tutorials/.

"This tutorial is dedicated to Davide Spano and Claudio Porta for
contributing the
v.in.gpsbabel script and Hamish for putting up with my nagging and
delivering the script
from the developers list to those that needed it. We also dedicate this
tutorial to all those
that will make use of GPS technology in GRASS."

The tutorial introduces the user to using a GPS as a source of vector
based data for use in GRASS. The tutorial covers
Devices   /dev/ttyS0
v.in.gpsbabel
v.clean
v.digit
v.build
v.extract
g.region
d.what.vect
DBF files

We hope to get some good feedback. I'm sure there are some technical
inacuracies somewhere, but we need fresh eyes. There is also a good
opportunity for some more in depth vector digitizing tutorials. If you
want to tag team the development of a full digitizing tutorial let us
know. It's on our list

If there is anything of use in our tutorial to the GRASS web site feel
free to grab it

We are still trying to figure what our next tutorial will be. We will
probably go back to the world of raster, and then maybe onto RDMS's and
then back to vectors and digitizing and vector management. But this is a
number of months down the road.

I hope you enjoy the tutorial.

Cheers