[GRASSLIST:10088] Re: trying to read in ArcView/.mdb file of NYC roads

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jan 31 10:20:09 EST 2006

MDB is used by the ArcGIS Personal Geodatabase.  GDAL/OGR 1.3.1 has
support for reading these (except that it doesn't read annotation).
It does this by using ODBC.  So you need an ODBC driver for the MDB
format (MS Access) as well as GDAL.  Those can be a bit difficult to
get ($$), as they normally work as a bridge so you also need a
running MS Access server on a Windows PC.  On Windows, there may be
ODBC drivers that can directly read the MDB file, but I have no idea
about various flavors of Linux.

I have tried an Access ODBC driver on Mac OS X that can directly read
the MDB.  As shareware, it only works on the first 3 records of a
database until payed, but it seems to work.

On Jan 31, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> U. George wrote:
>
>> from the website:
>> http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/dwnlion.shtml
>>
>> i would like to view the roads in the bronx. I am not familiar with
>> either grass, or arcview.
>> I have built 'grass' from source.  But am unable to import the
>> LION.mdb data file.
>>

>> GRASS 6.0.1 (GRASS):/tmp/lion > unzip -l nyc_lion05bav.zip
>> Archive:  nyc_lion05bav.zip
>>   Length     Date   Time    Name
>>  --------    ----   ----    ----
>>     15360  05-10-05 14:59   LION Streets.lyr
>>     18432  05-10-05 14:52   LION.lyr
>>     27640  05-02-05 13:53   NYC LION Geocoding (GDB).lot
>>     27201  05-10-05 11:44   NYC LION Geocoding (SDE).lot
>>    133436  08-02-05 10:11   nyc_lion_metadata.htm
>>  48627712  08-02-05 10:08   Data/LION.mdb
>>         0  07-11-05 12:21   Data/
>>    109568  07-20-05 12:34   Geocoding with LION.doc
>>  --------                   -------
>>  48959349                   8 files
>>
> You may use:
>
>  http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
>  " The MDB Tools project is a effort to document the MDB file format
> used in Microsoft <http://www.microsoft.com/>'s Access database
> <http://www.microsoft.com/office/access/default.asp> package, and to
> provide a set of tools and applications to make that data available on
> other platforms."
>
> Markus

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro