[GRASS-user] SAGA and GRASS

J Dougherty jwd at surewest.net
Wed Jul 5 21:30:24 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 09:19, Huidae Cho wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 11:46 AM, Wouter Buytaert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I came accross SAGA GIS at
> >
> > http://www.saga-gis.uni-goettingen.de/html/index.php
> >
> > Looks a very promising open source GIS application. Does anyone knows how
> > it compares to GRASS?
> >
> > At first sight at least one module (TOPMODEL) seems to rely on the GRASS
> > implementation (which is distributed with SAGA). No problem of course,
> > that's the nice thing about open source, but I wondered whether the
> > GRASS developers were aware of it...
>
> Hi,
>
> I wasn't aware of it.  I don't care, but wonder if it's allowed to use
> GPLed source code without author's permission.

The GPL is a license to freely use another's source code as long as the
resulting code is ALSO made available under GPL.  You can't convert another's
GPLd work to proprietary code without special permission from each
onctributing author.  SAGA is evidently released under the GPL according to
their page.

JWD