[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Frank Broniewski frank at frabron.de
Thu Jul 6 18:33:15 EDT 2006

Hi List

I am back again, and with me my problem with location creation from epsg
code.
I am testing different linux distros and now I have Ubuntu 6.06
installed. I went into the package manager to install grass and all
necessary dependencies.

And then I start grass for the very first time, choose my folder as
database, enter my epsg code and quit grass for the new location
creation.

Upon starting grass again, the console notices: ERROR: LOCATION
<< /home/frank/grassdata/8507.tmp >> not available
and I can't find my created location. Since I now know where to look for
the temporary things during location creation, I look into my /tmp/
folder, but there is no such folder (a 8507 one). I find two grass6-...
folders there, both from the same time. Both have only a gisrc file in
them. The folder with the smaller number (8468) has the following
content:

GISDBASE: /home/frank
LOCATION_NAME: <UNKNOWN>
MAPSET: <UNKNOWN>
GRASS_GUI: tcltk

the other one (8516):

LOCATION_NAME: 8507.tmp
MAPSET: PERMANENT
DIGITIZER: none
GISDBASE: /home/frank/grassdata
GRASS_GUI: tcltk

What could have gone wrong there? Is there maybe a problem with debian
based systems? Maybe I should try another version not from the package
repositories. This is really haunting me ...