[GRASS-user] convert vector line topology to area topology

Nicolas Devaux devaux at ensam.inra.fr
Fri Jul 7 08:37:06 EDT 2006

Hi, I start to use Grass, and I'm wondering if I'm not doing wrong,
trying to apply ArcInfo 7 concepts to Grass vector topology.

Is it possible to change a vector line topology map to a new vector area
topology map?

I explain : I imported a raster map showing fields boundaries. I want to
convert this map into vector information showing fields as areas. Before
doing that, I would like to work on line geometry in order to enhance
final quality information (close interrupted boundaries, erase dangle
nodes...).
I use r.to.vect with line option and do all cleaning operations needed.
But after all I can't reach area topology (using v.build or v.clean). If
I use at the beginning r.to.vect with area option, unclosed fields
boundaries are not converted....
With Arcinfo, I used to import at first line information, and it was
possible after to reach polygon topology using "build polygon" command.
How can I manage the same problem with Grass?

Thanks for any help