[GRASS-user] compiling GDAL from source after Grass

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Fri Jul 7 14:36:39 EDT 2006

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:38:29 +0200
Alessandro Bigi <abigi at agrsci.unibo.it> wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I am trying to following the instructions from the wiki and
> from the "GRASS Users Group of Davis" help page in order to get GDAL
> and Grass. I had successfully compiled and installed grass61, but I
> realized later I was missing GDAL. So, now, I'm trying to compile and
> install it from source (www.gdal.org): I am using the 1.2.6 version,
> as the one in Debian Sarge, and configure it using
> "--with-grass=/usr/local/grass61". Apparently configuration is ok,
> however during the "make" I have numerous error messages such as
> "grass57dataset.cpp.### directory not found."

> Do I have any other chance besides to compile/install GDAL without
> grass, then compile/install grass6.1 again and finally GDAL with
> grass, as suggested in the WIKI?

Where did you read that?! This might be an outdated info that needs
correction. Please let us now!

> I struggled already to have grass61, I dont know how much I will take
> to do it once more...

Best way to go:

0. Uninstall Gdal 1.2.6 and Grass 6.1.

1. Install GDAL 1.3.1 (eg. from Debian GIS:
http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debian-gis/pool/g/gdal)

2. Build Grass 6.1 (you already know how to :)).

3. Don't rebuild GDAL, use gdal-grass plugin instead (really
straightforward,
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Compile_and_install_GRASS_and_QGIS_with_GDAL/OGR_Plugin)

4. Enjoy :).

Maciek