[GRASS-user] Can't start GRASS 6.0.0

María Piquer Rodríguez almecloud at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 06:00:38 EDT 2006

Hello again Marco,

I found out (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg01139.html) that
choosing the Internet connection as "Use IE5 Settings" should not be a
problem. And indeed I don't get the error: "Can't get list of download
sites. Make sure your network settings are correct and try again", when I
choose "Use IE5 Settings". Actually the setup.exe is done but for isntance
the proj folder with all the EPSG codes is not installed : instead of
"/usr/local/share/proj/epsg" I have "\usr\local\share(dor or gadal, but not
pro)" .... (??)

Now The error I still get is when trying to start Grass 60:
Welcome to GRASS 6.0.0 (2005)
GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
This version running thru:               GNU Bash (Cygwin)
(/usr/bin/bash.exe)
Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
If required, restart the graphical user interface with: d.m &
When ready to quit enter:                exit
GRASS 6.0.0 (test1):~ > Error in startup script: child process exited
abnormally
    while executing
"exec ps.map -p"
    (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
    invoked from within
"DmPrint::init"
    (procedure "main" line 32)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/local/grass6.0.0/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 894)
Therefore I cannot start GRASS, stil....

and when I try to create a location by using the EPSG I get:
Warning- The epsg-code file was not found!!! when clicking in
the codes browser. This is clear as it does not exist in the correct
directory.

Here I do have proj.4 installed but a
version from may 2004 (just in case this info helps)

cs2cs
Rel. 4.4.8, 3 May 2004
usage: cs2cs [ -eEfIlrstvwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ]
                 [+to [+opts[=arg] [ files ]

I don't know if I am not able to install it, if the programm terms are too
dificult for me, that I don't have a UNIX working background or if I am
doing somenthig so wrong... but I spend already 4 days with the installation
with no success.... :-s

Thank you very much to all,

María