[GRASS-user] Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper: strange sudo hints printed a tstartup

marcos boullón magán marcosboullon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 06:20:21 EDT 2006

Solved.

The Ubuntu Dapper has a new "feature", that prints the sudo message
reminder when you start a login bash and your user is in a group with
permissions to invoke sudo. It's a reminder only. You can trace it
back to /etc/profile file that calls /etc/bash/bashrc that shows...

# sudo hint
if [ ! -e $HOME/.sudo_as_admin_successful ]; then
    case " $(groups) " in *\ admin\ *)
    if [ -x /usr/bin/sudo ]; then
	cat <<-EOF
	To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
	See "man sudo_root" for details.

	EOF
    fi
    esac
fi

Interesting enough, there is a direct way to stop it: if a file named
.sudo_as_admin_sucessful exists in home, you get no message. But
Init.sh pseudo-login in GRASS modifies HOME in the process, so the
filename check is not done at $HOME but at $LOCATION directory!

I can do...

$ touch gis/spearfish60/PERMANENT/.sudo_as_admin_sucessful
$ grass61 -text gis/spearfish60/PERMANENT

... and get no messages.

I hope this help you.

M.

2006/7/14, Carlos Guâno Grohmann <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com>:
> I also have the same behaviour on Dapper, using yesterday's CVS.
>
> Carlos
>

> On 7/14/06, Patton, Eric <epatton at nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
> > I can confirm the sudo tip on my Ubuntu Dapper box, using yesterday's CVS.
> >
> > ~ Eric.

-- marcos boullón magán
-- universidade de Santiago de Compostela