[GRASS-user] Fwd: [postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 20:31:25 EDT 2006

Hi Paul,

Here are the answers to the survey questions, along with a summary of the
project.

> >      Who are you?
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis

> >      What are you using PostGIS for?
storage, access, query, and analysis of USDA-NCSS soil survey polygons and
associated attributes

> >      Why did you choose PostGIS?
well supported, OSS, did what we needed

> >      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
relatively simple install from source on Linux
integrates well with Mapserver, GRASS, GDAL
integrates well  with PHP

> >      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
limited documentation

Summary of the project;

We wanted an interactive map of the various soil survey data for a couple
western states, so that regular people would be able to get at this stuff.
Mapserver, PHP, and MySQL were used for the first version of this tool.
Recently all spatial and attribute data has been migrated into a set of
consolidated tables in PostGIS- allowing for tremendous flexibility in the
management of both attributes and geometry.

Link to project page:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/27

if a more detailed summary is required, please let me know.

Cheers,

Dylan