FW: [GRASS-user] Problem with Nviz : first post

Prof Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 08:51:48 EDT 2006

Many thanks for your suggestions.

"What happens if you issue the 'nviz elev=elevation.dem' from CLI?"
"Please copy/paste the text output here (tcltk GUI tends to hide some low
level errors, like segfault, from the user)."

GRASS 6.0.2 (spearfish60):~ > nviz elev=elevation.dem
translating colors
recalculating normals...
Segmentation fault
GRASS 6.0.2 (spearfish60):~ >

"Do you know that you must set the region to match the elevation.dem first
(g.region rast=elavation.dem) for NVIZ (and most any other display module)
to be able to display it?"

I was not sure whether you were saying these were related and so I followed
the instruction with the following result.

GRASS 6.0.2 (spearfish60):~ > g.region rast=elevation.dem
GRASS 6.0.2 (spearfish60):~ > nviz elev=elevation.dem
Update elev null mask
translating colors
recalculating normals...
Segmentation fault
GRASS 6.0.2 (spearfish60):~ >

OK. Can you enlighten me as to the possible causes of the Segmentation
fault?

Very many thanks again for your help.

Darrel