[GRASS-user] Freetype fonts in gis.m

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 9 02:23:39 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> D.font.freetype is not supported in gis.m. It became increasingly
> >> problematic on Mac (and Windows?) platforms.
> >
> > It should still be possible to use it in a command layer.
> >
> > The real issue is that the way that the command string is being
> > handled causes problems for arguments which contain spaces. I haven't
> > looked into why this is the case; with the "obvious" implementation,
> > it should be possible to use braces to prevent an argument being
> > split.
>
> Actually, on the Mac, it didn't work at all--even for one word text. Also,
> you can use it on a command line, but getting it to display in a TclTk
> canvas is another matter.

Sorry; I got confused. I was talking about d.text.freetype.

Commands which merely change the driver's state but which don't render
anything don't make sense in gis.m. This includes both d.font and
d.font.freetype.

There should be an option to set the default font. You would need to
reset the font after calling anything which might change it (which
includes all command layers, as there's no reliable way to determine
whether a particular command will change the font).