[GRASS-user] Re: Suggestion for website/manual

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 14 19:59:34 EDT 2006

Along these same lines, it would be *really* valuable (for many) to list
side-by-side the features of GRASS vs ArcGIS and also layout arguments
supporting the use of GRASS over ArcGIS. I'm trying to do this, but I
could very much use some help. I am on a National team within the US
National Weather Service to make a recommendation on what direction to
go with GIS. Clearly, there are plusses and minuses with both. I have a
table of GIS requirements for River Forecast Centers and GRASS seems to
meet the vast majority of needs, however I am up against prejudice in
much the same way that Apple Computer has struggled against MS-Windows
users; much stemming from people who have never tried using GRASS GIS,
or at least, not in the past 4-5 years!

Tom