[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1103] Re: g.mlist freeze

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jun 15 06:17:23 EDT 2006

Jonathan Greenberg wrote on 06/15/2006 05:38 AM:

>Hmm, this is a weird one -- I ran a batch script that I asked about a few
>months ago, and it initially worked to list the files in my directory.  I
>fooled around with the bash script a bit and it appeared to freeze my PC
>(cygwin, latest cvs of grass 6.1).  Once I rebooted the program, it appears
>to be hanging on g.mlist --> I suspect (but may be wrong) that something in
>the location file may have gotten a bit screwed up, since a different
>location works fine with g.mlist (and my batch script).  Is there a way to
>repair a location file, or is there some other reason why this would be
>freezing on me?

Jonathan,

you may try to check with a small subset. Since g.list is a script, it
can be very slow
if many maps are in the mapset/mapset search path.
Example: I am processing daily MODIS data and have to wait minutes (!)
to get
a selection done because I have > 10000 maps in the search path.
You could check if the CPU is sleeping. And/or use strace or lsof -p PID to
check what the job is doing.

But does it really *freeze* the PC or doesn't it output anything in a
reasonable time?
I can't imagine that a script can crash a PC.

Markus