[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1114] Re: layers in vector datasets

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 04:28:21 EDT 2006

I can't answer your specific question, but I think I can answer the general one.

Vector layers in GRASS lingo are equivalent to "joined" tables in
ArcGIS. In GRASS the geometry information is stored in the file system
and attributes are stored in a database. The key linking the geometry
to the table is the category (often abbreviated to cat). The category
is equivalent to the Shapefile ObjectID.

You can have multiple tables linked to a single vector file hence the
layer=number terminology.

Tools which work with the linkage between the vector and the attribute
table begin with:

v.db.*

Whereas, tools that work strictly with the database table are prefaced with:

db.*

In many cases, the db.* commands can be replaced by SQL calls sent
directly to your database via conventional interfaces/GUI (nothing to
do with grass).

--
David Finlayson