[GRASS-user] r.proj error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 21 13:58:54 EDT 2006

gary wrote:

> Thanks for the tip on --enable-largefile. I noticed that the r.los
> analysis required 1.8Gbytes, even at the reduced resolution (30 meters).
>   The PC has about 3.4Gbytes of ram. [Technically, it has 4G, but for
> some reason, the mobo can't use it all.]

r.los (and a few other programs which need to read raster maps in a
non-linear manner, e.g. r.walk) use the segment library, which creates
a copy of the map in a temporary file in a format which is convenient
for random access (essentially, uncompressed tiles).

Consequently, the size of the data will be limited to the maximum size
of a file (usually 2Gb when --enable-largefile isn't used), regardless
of the amount of RAM which is present.