[GRASS-user] FW: How to allow a file browser dialog in shell scripts

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 05:35:00 EDT 2006

Eric wrote:

> I'm trying to create a script to load plan ascii files as input. I'm
> unfamiliar with all of the possible variations for the gisprompt
> parameter structure. I want to allow the user to browse the Mapset to
> load each ascii file.

add to the option definition:

#% gisprompt: old_file,file,input

e.g. m.proj.

> While we're on the topic, can anyone explain why there are usually
> several gisprompt parameters allowed for in most Grass shell scripts?
> What do all these mean?

somewhere deep in the programmers' manual or lib/gis/parser.c ...

from memory:

old/new  - whether to open map/file browser; checks that it won't overwrite
element  - the directory in $MAPSET, if applicable
prompt   - mostly unused nowadays?

Hamish