[GRASS-user] Does GRASS support "KIWI+" data format?

YAMADA,Yasuharu yamaday at affrc.go.jp
Fri Jun 23 03:25:50 EDT 2006

Hellow Stephan.

I am learning KIWI and KIWI+ data format from this monday.

"KIWI" is basically JIS(Japanese Industrial Standard) No. D0810.
It's used for the car navigation system's maps in Japan.
http://kiwi-w.mapmaster.co.jp/index_eng.html
http://kiwi-w.mapmaster.co.jp/documents_eng.html

But originally that format was developed at Hyogo, Japan
since the Hanshin-Awaji great earthquake, which occurred
about 10 years ago.
Its format is aimed for the GIS which can handle with
the time domain and spatial data simultaneously.
Therefore it is very useful for disaster management,
such as removing debris from the crashed buildings.

If GRASS software included time domain and spatial
data format, it would be epochmaking event.

Dr. Shigeru Kakumoto, EDM and Professor Kameda, Kyoto Univ.
are the leaders of KIWI and DiMSIS project.
http://www.edm.bosai.go.jp/english/default.htm

With best regards,
Yasuharu Yamada
NIRE, NARO Japan