[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1140] Re: Qn. on extracting from multiple rasters, data corresponding to vector polygons

Vishal Mehta vishalm1975 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 03:02:33 EDT 2006

Thanks all (esp. Jachym, Dylan, Jonathan)

Dylan/Jonathan, I havent tried Starspan, but it
looks good. i'll get into it if i find i have to. I cant compile from
sourcecode since i'm not that Linux savvy.

Jachym, I tried your approach on a small set of 12 rasters. v.what.vect is
not there in my Grass 6.0.1; but i was able to do the same thing with
v.what.rast
Basically values from each raster were added on as a column in the vector
attribute table. Thanks Jachym!

However, even with just 12 rasters, it took a bit of time (~10 seconds).
With some 100 rasters to process at a time, I have the following doubts:
1. Can the vector attribute table handle 100 additional tables, or is there
a limit?

2. My rasters are large, covering south asia (60E-100E, 5N-45N; 0.5 degree
resolution). My vectors are very small (covering small part of south-west
India). Perhaps this effects the processing time..should i mask the rasters
and then do the adding of columns?

3. Since my watershed are small,  most fall within one pixel.  When they do
cross 2 pixels, the v.to.rast clips the raster watershed to one pixel. Any
suggestion on perhaps better ways of handling this?

Thanks very much!
cheers,
vishal