[GRASSLIST:10654] visualise frequency of GPS points in an area

Philipp H. Mohr phm4 at kent.ac.uk
Wed Mar 1 09:31:10 EST 2006

Hello,

I am new to grass and trying to visualise the frequency (density) of
GPS points in a certain area devided into small cells, therefore in fact the amount of GPS
points in a cell should be displayed. Looking through the manual
v.neigbors seems the right tool, but I can't get it to work. I am using
the following settings for my area:

zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      51:22:54.696N
south:      51:15:25.452N
west:       0:51:59.94E
east:       1:06:48.06E
nsres:      0:00:00.036
ewres:      0:00:00.036
rows:       12479
cols:       24670

and I load the data in by:

v.in.ascii input=grass.in output=test format=point fs=| x=2 y=1 z=0 cat=0

grass.in can be found here:

http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/rpg/phm4/grass.in

Displaying the vector map works with the following command:
d.vect map=test type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face display=shape icon=basic/x size=8 layer=1 color=black fcolor=gray llayer=1 lcolor=red bgcolor=none bcolor=none lsize=8 font=romans xref=left yref=center

But now the trouble starts, when running v.neighbors

v.neighbors input=test output=rasterOut method=count size=0.0001

with varying sizes I don't get any error messages, but when trying to display the data with

d.rast map=testRaster

I only get a blank screen.

Could some one please tell me which command I need in order to display the
data. If possible in a 3D landscape.

Thank you very much,
Phil