[GRASSLIST:10692] Re: problems with GIS manager Re: GRASS 6.1cvs gis.m error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 2 12:57:57 EST 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > It's using the version in /usr/local/lib rather than in the build
> > tree. That's because -L/usr/local/lib comes first. Doesn't the linker
> > look there automatically? If it doesn't, don't use
> > --with-libs=/usr/local/lib when configuring.
>
> I didn't use that.

Something is adding an explicit -L/usr/local/lib. Could you see if
there's anything obvious in Platform.make?

In general, any directories which the linker searches automatically
shouldn't be specified explicitly, as that will get the ordering
wrong.

> > If possible, remove the GRASS libraries from /usr/local/lib (similarly
> > for include, bin etc). Having them there could mask problems with the
> > build. If a library fails to build, anything which depends upon it
> > should fail to build, rather than using an installed version of the
> > library.
>
> The problem is that I need them there to keep the grass-gdal plugin
> running for Mapserver/GRASS-PHP.

I was going to say "you only need the versioned names at run-time",
and then remembered that the GRASS libraries don't have versioned
names :(

> But the LDFLAGS change should to the job, right?

It should fix this specific issue. I'm just thinking in general terms.