[GRASSLIST:10693] Re: [GRASS5] Re: Transparency added

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 2 13:07:43 EST 2006

Huidae Cho wrote:

> Running a separate graphics software only to view displayed maps is too much.
> I got your point but I think GRASS should be standalone.

If necessary, a simple X11 PPM viewer can be added easily enough.

Once the display architecture is reworked to the point that d.*
commands simply generate PPM files, it would be trivial to add an
option such that all such files are shown using a viewer by default.

I'm mainly interested in getting rid of the notion of a persistent
monitor process. For a GUI application, it's preferable to just be
able to run a command which generates a graphic file, without having
to "manage" persistent processes.

> If there will be no
> display drivers, could you make gis.m interact with the command line so that
> the user can use gis.m as a display driver?  I know Hamish didn't mean this by
> "widget-free GUI window".

It would be fairly straightforward to add "server" functionality to
gis.m. By which, I mean something to send commands to gis.m from a
shell, similar to how "mozilla -remote <command>" works. But there
doesn't seem much point in doing this whilst gis.m is in a relatively
unstable state.