[GRASSLIST:10694] Re: How to save to PERMANENT

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 2 13:12:25 EST 2006

Huidae Cho wrote:

> > Hello; a real noob question: once I have a map layer I want to keep/share, how
> > do I copy it into the PERMANENT location? When I tried r.copy, I got an error
> > that a file does not exist.
>
> Try "g.copy from=map at mapset to=map" in the PERMANENT mapset.  The to= option of
> g.copy does not support @MAPSET, so you must run grass with the PERMANENT
> mapset.

Note that you have to own the current mapset. So to start GRASS in the
PERMANENT mapset, you have to own it (or su/sudo to the user who owns
it).

If you don't the necessary privileges, other users can still access
your maps either by using the map at mapset notation, or by using
g.mapsets to add your mapset to their mapset search path. In either
case, they need the necessary filesystem permissions.