[GRASSLIST:10701] Re: v.in.ascii failing on large files?

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Thu Mar 2 18:03:53 EST 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:08:05 -0800
"Jonathan Greenberg" <jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Does v.in.ascii have problems with VERY large files (grass 6.1 for
> cygwin)? When I do a v.info on the imported vector, I get a big red X
> with "Cannon open old vector tahoe_4_pansharp_stems at tahoe on level
> 2".  The .csv file (x,y and a number column which should be the sole
> attribute of the vector) is about 280mb in size (~ 600,000 points).
>
> On a related note, v.in.ogr fails importing a shapefile that is about
> 170mb in size (dbf file is a hair under 2gb).  I get an out-of-memory
> error (my memory usage goes up to 1.5 gb).

There was plenty of discussion on the Grass vs big vector files.
Problems you are experiencing is not something unusuall given the
current state of Grass vector engine.

The dbf driver is another memory hog. This you could overcome by using
other DB backends - sqlite, mysql, postgres. I have tried sqlite and in
many circumstances it is better than dbf, although it still needs to be
optimised. I was told postgres would perform better. For mysql I don't
know.

Browse grass5 and grasslist archives for related discussions.

Maciek