[GRASSLIST:10727] Re: Help with Vectorhandling

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 13:26:35 EST 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 08:39 am, Wolfgang Zillig wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> I did not get an answer jet! Probably it is simply no possible. But as
> this is not urgent for me, I have some time to think about an solution
> or possible alternatives.
>
> Wolfgang
>
> Dave Kindem schrieb:
> > Hello Wolfgang,
> >
> > I was curious whether you received an answer to you question.  I have
> > the same question, and am interested in the answer, too.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Mar 1, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Wolfgang Zillig wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would need some help with the handling of vector data. I figured
> >> already out (more or less) how to use v.in.ascii but I don't
> >> understand how I can connect single points to lines (polygones) and
> >> areas? Do I have to use a external drawing software which can export
> >> shp or is this directly possible in grass. Is a formatting of these
> >> vectors possible (line style, filling,...)?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Wolfgang

I have used something like this to convert GPS track data into lines:
awk '
BEGIN{print "VERTI:"; n = 0}
 {
vertex = $6" "$7
if(  (n > 0 && n < 3) ) {print "L 2\n"old_vertex"\n"vertex}
else if(n >2 ) {print "L 2\n"old_vertex"\n"vertex}
old_vertex = vertex
n++
}' walk1.raw > walk1.ascii

where my x and y data are stored in columns 6 and 7 of the input file.

use v.in.ascii format=standard to import

cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis