[GRASSLIST:10775] Re: How to calculate maximum & minimum elevation across a raster?

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 15:39:55 EST 2006

Michael, if you've got R installed, you can use a combination of
r.profile and R to calculate this (and to generate profile graphs if
needed).

=================
r.profile input=pcdem output=line.profile profile=x1,y1,x2,y2
# csvify the output by adding header row and replacing spaces with commas
echo "distance,elevation" > profile.csv
sed "s/ /,/g" line.profile >> profile.csv

#Plot the profile in R and calculate min and max elevations:
> x <- read.csv('profile.csv')
> plot(x,type='l',main='Elevation Profile')
> min(x$elevation)
[1] 123.4588
> max(x$elevation)
[1] 551.2437