[GRASSLIST:10784] awk not found on Mac osx, Repost

Dave Kent dkent at sasktel.net
Tue Mar 7 00:11:40 EST 2006

I posted this some time ago.  Markus responded with a change which
has been incorporated into CVS code.

However, this hasn't helped things for me as I still am getting a
problem with "awk required"

I am using 6.1 CVS with Lorenzo's binaries (06 March 06 ) on a
macintosh OS 10.4.

When I try to add a database column I get:

v.db.addcol map=CondieHead layer=1 'columns=Elev varchar(10)'
csh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
: awk required, please install awk/gawk first

This suggests awk is absent.  When I invoke awk from the grass
command line, I get:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (SaskNad83UTM) > awk
Usage: awk [-f programfile | 'program'] [-Ffieldsep] [-v var=value]
[files]

This suggests that awk is present as it lists  the help line.

I have not installed awk/gawk.  It is present in the Mac OSX
installation at    /usr/bin/awk

Are there some environmental or other settings I need to set so that
Grass sees awk?

This also happens when opening a QGIS connection from the display
manager.

Thanks

Dave