[GRASSLIST:10802] Re: awk not found on Mac osx, Repost

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 22:29:41 EST 2006

Dave:
> I posted this some time ago.  Markus responded with a change which has
> been incorporated into CVS code.
>
> However, this hasn't helped things for me as I still am getting a
> problem with "awk required"
> I am using 6.1 CVS with Lorenzo's binaries (06 March 06 ) on a
> macintosh OS 10.4.
> When I try to add a database column I get:
>
> v.db.addcol map=CondieHead layer=1 'columns=Elev varchar(10)'
> csh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.
> : awk required, please install awk/gawk first
>
> This suggests awk is absent.  When I invoke awk from the grass command
> line, I get:
>
> GRASS 6.1.cvs (SaskNad83UTM) > awk
> Usage: awk [-f programfile | 'program'] [-Ffieldsep] [-v var=value]
> [files]
>
> This suggests that awk is present as it lists  the help line.
>
> I have not installed awk/gawk.  It is present in the Mac OSX
> installation at    /usr/bin/awk
> Are there some environmental or other settings I need to set so that
> Grass sees awk?
> This also happens when opening a QGIS connection from the display
> manager.

Michael:
> It sounds like a path problem. That is, it sounds like /usr/bin is not
> in your default path, or at least the one active within the GRASS
> environment.
> >>From the GRASS command line, type
>
> $PATH
> (followed by return) and see if /usr/bin is in the list of folders.

better:
GRASS> echo $PATH

just "$PATH" will try to run it as a program.

I think Michael is correct, awk is fine,

> v.db.addcol map=CondieHead layer=1 'columns=Elev varchar(10)'
> csh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory.

I think this is the real error, not the missing awk.
note shell is csh not bash command interpreter, denoting the machine was
upgraded from MacOS <= 10.2.

/sw/ denotes a Fink install. Has it been removed but is still in the
executable search PATH?? check ~/.cshrc file for fink adding itself to
the PATH.

> : awk required, please install awk/gawk first

Bug: that should read "v.db.addcol: awk required, please ..."
I've fixed this in CVS, repeated in many other scripts.

You can try

GRASS> which awk

to test if GRASS can find awk.

also try searching the archives, we've seen this before IIRC..

Hamish