[GRASSLIST:10828] Re: other methods for calculate profile and plan curvature

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 12:17:44 EST 2006

Hi Carlos,

This topic is one of my favorites, so I thought that I would chime in here.

Although the map derived from krigging may look similar to the RST map, subtle
differences might only be apparent when higher order derivatives of the
surfaces are calculated (i.e. for curvature estimates). It might be
interesting to create a difference map of the two, or even a couple maps
describing the standard deviation within a window for each map (r.neighbors).
This might give you some insight on what exactly is "different" about the two
maps.

While I am by no means an expert on either command, I do believe that the
curvatures are computed slightly differently in each algorithm. Do you have
any samples that might be helpful in identifying the artifacts?

Cheers,

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette