[GRASSLIST:29] Re: Problem with r.contour

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 22:18:46 EST 2006

> Hamish, thanks for this; it looks like you've got it. I can see the
> memory dissapear towards zero, and then there's a long pause in gui
> response, and r.contour is no more...
>
> I'll have to see if I've got an old disk lying around to add for more
> swap. Or an old wallet with money for more RAM.
>
> If it's still of interest, I have 256M RAM, 512M swap.
>
> At
> rows:       8400
> cols:       7200
> r.contour can complete successfully.
>
> At
> rows:       8400
> cols:       7680
> r.contour gets booted off before completing.

For a region that big you will either want a little more memory (another
512mb chip might do it), add some temporary swap space* and let it run
overnight, or split the processing into a north and south half (or
quadrants, etc.) and then put the contours together with v.patch
(v.append?). I think upgrading your RAM is the best solution if you can
find the cash.

[*] http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2002-February/006070.html

Hamish