[GRASSLIST:50] Re: [GRASS5] Re: New GIS Manager adds transparency to layers

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 13:45:30 EST 2006

Hello Michael,

I've been playing with gism and there are some points:

When I make the display window too big (like, the size of my monitor),
some times transparency won't work, some times it wil....

If I change region in terminal (say, g.region rast=myrast), and then
just ask for a redraw, nothing happens! I have to unselect the layers,
"draw" a blank screen and then select the layers and draw again.
Something similar was happening when I was testing some shaded relief
maps. I was changing vertical exaggeration, but the name of the map
was the same, so if I just asked for a redraw, nothing would happen.
I guess this is because the _name_ of the map being displayed hasn't changed.

About the region thing, how about two mor buttons: one for "region to
rast" and one for "region to vector" ?

BTW, you said that the ppm way of displaying would make things
faster... personally, I felt it slower.

all the best

Carlos

On 3/13/06, Thomas Adams <Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Sorry; I should have tried this first… no problem when I startup from my
> $HOME (login) directory. Typically I like to startup GRASS from my GRASS
> database directory. Is this the anticipated behavior or should it be
> considered a 'bug'?
>
> Thanks for your feedback and great work!
>
> Tom
>

> Thomas Adams wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > Where is GRASS/new display manager going to look for the .tmp
> > directory? In the directory GRASS is started from; one's $HOME
> > directory; other?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom
> >

> > Michael Barton wrote:
> >> Something similar has just been reported on some lab computers
> >> running GRASS
> >> under Cygwin. Maybe it's a different issue, though because it only
> >> happened
> >> with a version of init.sh that automatically runs gism2. It seems to
> >> run OK
> >> if launched manually.
> >>
> >> Your GRASS in a non-standard location might be an issue. I'm not sure
> >> where
> >> the working directory error comes from. Is it a TclTk error (buttons
> >> run,
> >> cancel, details) or another kind of error (xwindows, bash, etc..)?
> >>
> >> The GIS Manager display works by creating PPM files in a temp directory
> >> within your working GRASS mapset--set by g.tempfile. If you don't have
> >> access to such a .tmp directory, you will have problems.
> >>
> >> Let me know if any of these gives you a clue to what is wrong.
> >>
> >> Michael

> >> ___________________________
> >> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
> >> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> >> Arizona State University
> >> Tempe, AZ  85287
> >>
> >> WWW - http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
> >> Phone: 480-965-6262
> >> Fax: 480-965-7671
> >>

> --
> Thomas E Adams
> National Weather Service
> Ohio River Forecast Center
> 1901 South State Route 134
> Wilmington, OH 45177
>
> EMAIL:  thomas.adams at noaa.gov
>
> VOICE:  937-383-0528
> FAX:    937-383-0033

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke