[GRASSLIST:70] Re: Displaying attributes alongside vector data

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 00:53:53 EST 2006

> What I want to do is to display river names alogside the river(not at
> the left, center or right of the centroid). Is there a way to do this
> actually, or I'll have  to hack d.vect to be able to do it with grass?

Use v.label -a, -c and d.labels (or ps.map) in GRASS 6.1-cvs.

> What about displaying names(or generically, attributes) with a small
> (black or white) border around the (freetype) fonts? So they can be
> easily distinguished from the background map.

For ps.map, use v.label highlight color controls.
For the normal display monitor just use d.text.freetype in two steps:
the second time change the color and make the font size one or two less.

> What about displaying (with the "right" colors) islands in lakes? or
> do I need a Coverage for this, besides inwatera?

I don't understand this one. More info?
d.vect cats=1-99999
?

Hamish