[GRASSLIST:83] Re: how to load data into d.vect.thematic ?

Philipp H. Mohr phm4 at kent.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 08:06:10 EST 2006

Dear Hamish,

thank you for your reply.

> > I have tried to use d.vect.thematic, but I ran into a few problems.
> > I load my data in with:
> >
> >         cat grass.in | v.in.ascii out=mypoints3 x=2 y=1 cat=3
> >         columns='cat int, x double, y double'
> >
> > I can draw the vector mypoints3 without any problems. But when I try
> > to display this vector with:
> >
> >    d.vect.thematic map=mypoints3 type=point column=cat
> >         themetype=graduated_colors themecalc=interval layer=1
> >         icon=basic/circle size=5 maxsize=20 nint=4
> >         colorscheme=blue-red pointcolor=255:0:0 linecolor=0:0:0
> >         startcolor=255:0:0 endcolor=0:0:255 monitor=x0
> >
> > I get the ERROR: No such column [cat].
> > Could some one please tell me how to read the data in so that it can
> > be used with d.vect.thematic.
>

> v.info -c mypoints3
>

> "cat" column there?

No it doesn't seem to be there - which is strange. v.info gives me the
following output:

v.info map=catTest layer=1

 | Layer:    catTest                        Organization:
|
 | Mapset:   phm4                           Source Date:
|
 | Location: canterburySize                 Name of creator:
|
 | Database: /home/phm4/phd/common/grassdata
|
 | Title:
|
 | Map Scale:  1:1
|
 | Map format: native

 |   Type of Map:  Vector (level: 2)
|

 |   Number of points:       1073            Number of areas:      0
|
 |   Number of lines:        0               Number of islands:    0
|
 |   Number of boundaries:   0               Number of faces:      0
|
 |   Number of centroids:    0               Number of kernels:    0
|

 |   Map is 3D:              0
|
 |   Number of dblinks:      0
|

 |   Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)
|
 |            N: 51.382        S: 51.257
|
 |            E: 1.113          W: 0.867
|
 |            B: 0.000         T: 0.000
|

 |   Digitize threshold: 0.00000
|
 |   Comments:

The loading in of the data says the 3 columns have been generated:

v.in.ascii
input=/home/phm4/phd/common/progs/python/memoryStructure/grass.in
output=catTest format=point fs=| x=2 y=1 z=0 cat=3
Maximum input row length: 32
Maximum number of columns: 3
Minimum number of columns: 3
Building topology ...